Friday, April 11, 2014

Some People Probably Hate Me

Recently, I read Sarah's post about 32 Things I Hate More Than April 1st, and while I giggled at most of it. It got me to thinking. I know that her list was all in fun, but I see people saying they 'hate' so much stuff via social media, and since I do some of those things, they must hate me too. Do you ever feel that way?

Originally, I wanted to talk about this when I read 20 Things Your Friends Wish You Would Stop Posting On Facebook, but I wondered if I was the only one that disagreed with some of it. Let's use the following, for example:

"Holy announcement overload

Of course you can update your status when you get engaged, married or have a baby, but you don’t need to inundate your friends’ newsfeeds with photos of fabulous parties, quotes about love and anticipations about family life. There’s a fine line between sharing your good news and rubbing it in everyone’s face."
I have never once thought that someone on my Facebook, or a blogger for that matter, was trying to rub their fun life in my face. I just don't think like that. I think 'Wow...Look at so and so living it up, and embracing life!' or 'Congrats for whatever awesomeness is happening!' Maybe I'm naive, but I don't see where it's my place to read into what they are posting and why they are posting it, and it's DEFINITELY not my place to dictate what they are sharing. Who knows, maybe I'm an over-sharer...anyone reading who's an FB friend of mine...don't tell me, haha. I'd like to stay naive. Here are some things that I know I do, and I'm not a bit ashamed:

I take pictures of food.
I LOVE food. I love food I make, I love food from restaurants, I love seeing other pictures of food that people post. Yes, they should be pretty/appetizing pictures, but I'm all for them.
I love PDA (PG Rated of course)


I don't mind hashtags.
I don't ever want to have twenty per post or picture, but I think they are a neat-o idea. Especially on Instagram. I think it's fabulous I can find #fitness or #fashion inspiration so easily, and some hashtags are hilarious.
I like selfies.
Okay, so I actually don't post many selfies with just me in them, but I love sharing pictures of me with friends or family. I used to always be the one behind the camera and have years worth of pictures that are of travels or people I love, but I was never in them. I don't always want that to be the case. I love looking back at a picture that holds a special moment with myself and that person...like Lauren. Now that she's gone, I look at these #selfies, and it still connects me to her. Don't hate on people's selfies because you don't know what they mean to that person. Just not ten a day, people.


I post baby pictures of my nieces, so just imagine if I had my own kid...
I post fitness pictures, and have even checked in at the gym!
If I feel so inclined, I will pass on inspiration.
 I will never be the kind of person that shares 10 inspirational memes or quotes a day, but I won't judge others for doing it. I just hide them from my newsfeed.

And there are even things outside of social media:
"Same Side Sitting", as Miss Venus put it.
Will and I sit across from each other 8 out of 10 times, but sometimes I just want to snuggle next to him while we wait for our food. Holding hands across the table doesn't always cut it, and yes, we are those people that hold hands 98% of the time we are near each other. It's why we have great stress management.
I'm cheap.
Sure being frugal isn't cool, and no one wants to hear that they need to quit shopping and buying lattes, but I would rather be able to provide for our future {possible} children, know that we are taken care of for retirement, and have a fat savings account in the bank, than spend money on random stuff. I have had friends that practically get mad that I don't want to do something stupid with my money or buy their {insert multi-level marketing product here}. Not saying I won't buy something every now and then, but don't 'hate' me if I don't.
I'm not politically correct.
Along with telling you that you need to quit spending money on stupid stuff if you complain to me that you have no savings, I will tell you if you have a booger, I will answer any question honestly (but kindly) even if it's not what you want to hear, and I will flat out tell you that you are wrong if I must. However, I don't judge anyone and I take into account that everyone makes mistakes, which is why people keep excepting my honest opinion {I guess}. Politically correctness is the popular thing these days, but honesty is my policy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hate things like child/pet abusers, pedophiles, and dirty politicians, and I don't think we should waste 'hate' on our friends for what they post on Facebook or their blog. Let's focus on celebrating the passions of others instead of bashing them. Mmmmkay? You may see a food picture as 'non-picture worthy', but the person posting it is sharing their passion with you. You don't want anyone to stifle your passions, so don't do it to them. Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate, and treat others how you would like to be treated. It's as complicated and simple as that.

Sorry for the deep post, but let's remember I'm 'sexually deprived for your freedom' right now. Gotta get my 'frustration' out somewhere!


31 comments:

Jen said...

I love this post!!

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

in my books, an honest person is best!

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

HickChickBritt said...

I agree with all of it completely! Also you crack me up but seriously thank for being deprived for our country and freedom!

Cece @Mahogany Drive said...

I totally agree. And what one person hates will be what someone else loves. It's just a matter of perspective.

Whitney @ EHFAR said...

I totally agree!!!

People are always going to hate on others, because they want to feel better about themselves.

I take pictures of food. I don't mind hashtags at all. I say the more the better, as long as they are relevant. I've had companies contact me because they found me in a hashtag (i.e. Timex contacted me and let me choose a watch from a list). I like selfies (me in them or with just friends). I like how I look.

I'll never in the life of me understand why people hate on everything. I guess people like being negative.

I say keep on being you and doing what you want!!

Alice said...

Love it!

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I totally agree!! All of the "hate" posts have just gotten to be too much and I start feeling self-conscious sometimes about what I write! There are supposed to be no real rules, which is my favorite part about blogs and social media!

Blush and Barbells said...

I have had to drop a few friends because they were solidly in the "stop rubbing my face in it" camp. That is just such a self-centered attitude that I can't be a part of it!

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

I don't think we should ever judge someone for being happy. yes, some many post 10 things when 1 would have been better but to each their own.

Jean said...

I agree w/ this post. Overall, I like to stay positive. If ppl don't like my newsfeed, they're more than welcome to unfriend me. ;)

Kenzie Smith said...

I couldn't agree more with promoting what you love! There is SO much negativity every where now days. The only thing I don't like about Facebook is that 90% of the people on my friends list complain about everything.

Anonymous said...

Oh em gee I couldn't be more in love with this post! I found myself beong like "YESSS!" At everything you said.

Sarah said...

Such a good post! I do so many of these and I don't care who like it and who doesn't, if they don;t they can just hide me! :)
The only thing I'm not a fan of on facebook is when people air their dirty laundry! Theres a girl on mine and all she does is slag her ex boyfriend and father of her kids off in every single status she puts on. Safe to say she got hidden haha. Things like that should be kept private, anything else, go for it! :) xxx

http://xosarah-loves.blogspot.co.uk/

Rachel said...

Yes!! I agree with you completely! I've never understood why people complain so much about other people's behavior on facebook or social media--I mean, when someone is doing something actually wrong on social media, like being a bully, that's one thing, but what is wrong with sharing about the good things happening in your life? I'm friends with all of my facebook friends because I LIKE them and I don't get to see them much, so I've always thought it's fun to see their pictures.
(And Angel and I sit on the same side of the booth most places and why should where we sit bother anyone?)

Tricia Coniglio said...

I love your post! I used to hate same side sitting, selfies and food pics. But since I have using social media I have learned to accept it and actually like it now.

I love being honest but I have noticed that sometimes there is a fine line between that and getting hated by the media. I am pretty new at blogging so I don't have enough followers to be hated but some day I plan on it!! :)

Brittany said...

I love this post!! You are so funny! Seriously. But I occasionally like same side sitting too but always feel that I am being hardcore judged for it!

ItsTheNewTwenty said...

Yes, I agree with you. I use hashtags, selfies, gym check-ins, and even share announcements. I know when I was younger and still single, I used to get really depressed looking at everyones wedding and engagement pics but I just forced myself not to look at it. You definitely have to be a confident person to handle social media, and if you're not, you should probably limit the amount of time you spend on it.

Jenn said...

I agree with a lot of what you said. Isn't that the point of social media? To stay in touch and share our joys and life changes?

I choose to be "friends" with people on social media because I'm interested in their life, and I hope they are interested in mine, too.

I think if people "hate" others on their social media for doing those things, maybe it's time to reevaluate why they're network "friends." You know?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this Janna! I love everything you said. And I agree! All you need is love, right? ;)

Erin said...

haha I 100% do all these things. especially food pics, i dont get why people hate on food pics, i love taking them and looking at them!

Unknown said...

Loved this honest post and the fact that you're embracing yourself! :) much love!

Kait said...

Whoa, this was so good! It really made me think and those types of posts are the best! XOXO

Jamie said...

I definitely get annoyed by some people on facebook. Not because I think they are trying to rub somethgin in my face but because I think some of those things are just generally annoying behaviors. :)

Venus Trapped In Mars said...

I'm actually on board with you on most of these. I love hashtags, selfies REALLY don't bother me, food pictures, well, lets just say my favorite pastime is watching Food Paradise on the travel channel so bring on all the food pictures. But what I love most about social media is that we are all allowed to post whatever it is we want, ya know? I'll be the first to admit that I am a giant grouch, which isn't a good thing, but honestly, if you don't like something, just don't do it!

And I went back and read my post after reading this, luckily many of the things I wrote that I hate are dumb things I do :) And for the record, you may have just changed my mind on same side sitting... the way you explained it was pretty darn sweet.

Venus Trapped In Mars said...

I'm actually on board with you on most of these. I love hashtags, selfies REALLY don't bother me, food pictures, well, lets just say my favorite pastime is watching Food Paradise on the travel channel so bring on all the food pictures. But what I love most about social media is that we are all allowed to post whatever it is we want, ya know? I'll be the first to admit that I am a giant grouch, which isn't a good thing, but honestly, if you don't like something, just don't do it!

And I went back and read my post after reading this, luckily many of the things I wrote that I hate are dumb things I do :) And for the record, you may have just changed my mind on same side sitting... the way you explained it was pretty darn sweet.

Rach said...

"Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate" YES! I wish more people lived this way! I definitely try to be like this.

And girl, we are totally same-side-of-the-table sitters. Like... probably 99% of the time, ha! Even when our server puts us on opposite sides of the table from each other, we just slide the menu and silverware over and enjoy sitting side by side. I didn't even realize it was a "thing" until I saw some of those "we hate people who..." articles last year. *shrug* Haters gonna hate. ;)

Kate @ Daffodils said...

I think this is so true, people get to decide on their own what they feel is important enough to share-who am I to judge? And the beauty of it? If it is really annoying then I can hide from my newsfeed or not click on the blog link. And presto! Hatred solved!

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

I don't get crazy over use of the word hate. I hate things. Some of those things are important, and some aren't.

I'm guilty of pretty much everything on your list except public PDA - I'm private there!

I hate (ha! there it is) when people think that you're acting like your life is perfect when you share good things.

Ashleigh said...

I love this post! I can so agree with you on most of it :) great minds think a like!

Courtney B said...

LOVE this post! I'm always so confused on why people hate on sooooo much about social media. Don't look if you don't like it! I never agree with those "things I hate about...." or "things people should NOT post..." type posts.

The one thing I DO hate is when people hate on each other. Mainly the get off my internets (GOMI) site. I made it on a few weeks ago and almost died! Once I made sure they weren't being mean about Mia, I actually laughed at some of the stupidity of their comments. YES I have a boring blog! YES I only post pictures of my baby. So what? I don't claim to be anything else so if you don't like it, don't look at it. Everyone else reads it because they actually like seeing pictures of my cute babe. UGH!

Kim said...

Love this! I couldn't have said it better myself! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...