Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Year's: Part 1

After much deliberation I have narrowed down the traditions, games and food to incorporate into our holiday this year!  I am most excited about the food (I’m always most excited about the food), but I think I’m going to have to make this a two-part post and post about that tomorrow.  I apologize to keep the yummy recipes from you for one more day, but I’m still fine-tuning my menu and have to sleep at some point.

Source: minted.com via Gini on Pinterest

So anyways, HERE WE GO!

Since this is our first year as a married couple, we have discussed writing letters to each other to be read far into the future, and I have decided that our first New Year’s Eve is the perfect time to do this! I think it will set the perfect tone for the letters and make them extra special.  I’m also thinking we should write separate letters to our selves to be read at the same time and we can include our resolutions in them too.  I think when we look back, they are really going to put things in perspective and remind us of how far we have journeyed together.  It seems like such a simple and yet beautifully complex act.

After that I have some fun New Year’s trivia planned that will lead into a game of Two Truths and a lie comprised of New Year’s resolutions and such.  It’s going to be a challenge with just the two of us, but we always have fun regardless.  If for some reason these games end up lame, then we have plenty of board games and such to fall back on lol.  Not to mention: THE FOOD!!

I am going to incorporate both of our families traditions for the food with a yummy pork tenderloin and sauerkraut with a traditional southern Black-Eyed Peas and Ham Hocks recipe on the side.  Since the sauerkraut is made from cabbage, we have that covered!  FYI: These particular foods are chosen to symbolize prosperity (shown by how the peas “swell” when cooked), money (cabbage is green like $$$) and positive motion (pigs root forward when foraging).  


As for new food traditions, I was most interested in the twelve grapes at midnight for the twelve chimes on the clock.  It might be the recipe I found that really interested me but oh well ;)  This also might be a similar case with the pancakes I plan on making New Year’s morning.  I really like pancakes, but always steer away from them, since they aren’t too good for the figure. Luckily, the French tradition of the pancake eating seemed like a good enough reason for me!  Don’t worry though, they will be wheat and the syrup will be sugar free!

We will also be instituting first-footing from Scotland, since Will is Scottish.  It’s probably going to be very silly when I make him go outside after midnight and knock on his own door to be let in, but they say that even if it is someone from the household, all that matters is that the first to cross the threshold is a tall, dark, handsome man.  Anything to bring us more luck for the New Year ;)
I also can’t forget to mention, that we will be sipping champagne at midnight, cuddled up while the ball drops and sharing a very special kiss to bring in the new year just right <3

Few other fun little facts:

*Noisemakers and fireworks are intended to scare away evil spirits.
*You are supposed to open all windows and doors to rid your house of the previous year.
*You are supposed to pay off all debt (or at least work towards it) before New Years Eve to start the New Year off with a clean slate, but you ARE NOT supposed to pay out anything on the holiday or you will continue to pay out all year! No one wants that lol.
*The number 8 and the color red signifies good luck, but the number 4 and watches and clocks signify bad luck.  Giving a watch as a gift is actually the worst because it signifies the end or death.
*The Midnight Kiss with the one you love ensures affections and good tidings.  To smooch someone less favorable, or not at all could mean misfortune.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...